Homeowners often undertake garage renovations to increase the value of their property. A well-done garage renovation can make your home more appealing to potential buyers and help you fetch a higher price when you eventually sell.
However, renovating your garage doesn’t have to be an expensive undertaking. There are several ways you can save money when renovating your garage. Here are a few tips:
- Do the work yourself- One of the best ways to save money on a garage renovation is to do the work yourself. This will require some investment in tools and materials, but it will still be cheaper than hiring a professional contractor. If you’re handy and have some basic carpentry skills, you can tackle many renovation tasks yourself.
- Shop around for materials– Another way to save money on your garage renovation is to shop around for the best deals on materials. Home improvement stores often have sales on lumber, paint, and other construction materials. You can also check online classifieds websites and auction sites for used materials that might be suitable for your garage renovation.
- Hire a professional for complex tasks– If you’re uncomfortable doing the work yourself, hire a professional contractor to handle the more difficult tasks involved in garage renovations. This will cost more than doing the work, but ensuring that the job is done properly may be worth it.
Following these tips, you can save money on your garage renovation and still have a beautiful and functional space.
What are some garage renovation ideas on a budget?
If you’re looking for garage renovation ideas that won’t break the bank, here are a few suggestions:
- Add shelving- Adding shelves is an easy and inexpensive way to increase storage space in your garage. The key is ensuring the frames are sturdy enough to hold heavy items. You can buy ready-made garage shelving units in Salt Lake City or build your own using lumber and brackets.
- Paint the walls– A fresh coat of paint can brighten up any space, and your garage is no exception. Choose a light color to make the room feel more open and airier. You can also add accent colors by painting stripes or patterns on one or more garage walls.
- Install new flooring– Old, cracked concrete flooring can make your garage look dated and uninviting. You can install many different types of flooring in your garage, including epoxy coating, interlocking tiles, and roll-out mats. You’ll need to spend some money on the flooring material, but the results will be worth it.
- Add lighting– Good lighting is important in any workspace, including your garage. Install bright overhead lights to make seeing what you’re doing easier. You might also want to add task lighting over your workbench or along the walls.
- Organize your space- One of the best ways to make your garage more functional is to organize it. Invest in some good storage bins and cabinets, and take the time to label everything so you can easily find what you need. A well-organized garage will make all your projects easier and make your garage more inviting.
- Upgrade your garage door– If it is old and battered, it can make your whole garage look bad. Replacing it with a new garage door is a relatively inexpensive way to give your garage a major facelift.
These are just a few garage renovation ideas that can help you create a more functional and attractive space without spending much money. So get started on your garage makeover today!
How much should I prepare to spend on a garage renovation?
The garage renovation cost will depend on several factors, including the size of your garage, the project’s scope, and whether you’re doing the work yourself or hiring a professional contractor. With that said, here are some general guidelines to help you budget for your garage renovation:
- You can expect to spend around $500 for a basic garage makeover. This will cover painting, installing new flooring, and adding shelving or cabinets for storage.
- If you’re planning a more extensive garage renovation, such as adding an office or workshop, you should budget around $1,000 to $2,000. This will cover the cost of materials and any necessary electrical or plumbing work.
- If hiring a professional contractor to handle the renovation, you can expect to pay about $50 to $100 per hour. In addition, the contractor will likely charge for materials and supplies.
Considering these costs, you can develop a realistic budget for your garage renovation. With a little planning and careful spending, you can create the garage of your dreams without breaking the bank.