Jewelry holds a special place in the hearts of many people. For one, jewelry pieces have so much. Not only are they worn as accessories for special occasions, but they are also a status symbol. In addition to this, they can be a as their value doesn’t depreciate over time. Lastly, these items have emotional worth and .
When it comes to jewelry, it’s a good idea to invest in some pieces, such as a gold necklace or a diamond ring. But when looking for one, you may have probably heard of one of its key attributes—carat or karat. Unfortunately, it’s easy to interchange these terms, but they both have different meanings and uses.
In this article, we’ll tackle the difference between karat and carat. Keep on reading to learn what factors to consider when investing in jewelry.
Karat vs. Carat
Let’s first take a look at the main difference between the two. It goes beyond their first letter, whether a K or a C. Take note of the following:
- Karat: When you talk about gold items, what comes to mind? You ask how pure of gold the thing is. All it takes is for you to ask or determine what the karat is. Simply put, karat is a term used to determine the gold purity of a jewelry item. It is the ratio of gold to other metals present in a jewelry item. The higher the karat is, the costlier the jewelry item will be.
- Carat: On the other hand, carat applies to diamonds and other gemstones, not gold. However, it doesn’t pertain to the size of the jewelry item, contrary to popular notion. It measures the weight of a gemstone. Know that one carat is equivalent to 200 milligrams. The higher it is, the more expensive the jewelry item will be.
Factors to Consider When Investing in Jewelry Pieces
At this point, we’ve established that while karat is for gold items, carat is for diamonds and gemstones. Both are key factors to consider when looking to buy a piece of jewelry. However, there are other key attributes you must be on the lookout for.
For jewelry items made of gold, you must factor in a few things. Whether the item is pure gold, gold-plated, or made of a yellow gold alloy, consider the following attributes:
- Aesthetics: Most individuals wear jewelry items for display, especially during special occasions and special events. Be sure to consider its aesthetic value and see how it matches your character and personality.
- Durability: Apart from aesthetics, you want to ensure that your jewelry item is firm durable. Pure gold can endure the test of time and withstand the harsh elements. You want to make sure that your jewelry piece will last for as long as possible. After all, it’s a long-term investment.
- Karat Level: The most crucial factor is its karat level. Know that 24-karat gold is pure gold, which means it isn’t mixed with silver, copper, or other precious metals. However, this item can be pretty costly. Hence, you may opt for a 20-karat or 18-karat gold piece. Just be sure not to settle for a fake thing.
When it comes to diamonds and gemstones, you must factor in the four Cs:
- Cut: Of course, you have to consider how the diamond or gemstone is cut. Be sure to examine the quality of your jewelry piece’s angles, proportions, facets, and finishing details.
- Clarity: Ask yourself how clear and clean the jewelry item is. Make sure your diamond or gemstone has no blemishes.
- Color: Color plays a key factor as well. For diamonds, you want to ensure that your item is as colorless as possible. For gemstones, opt for a specific color that matches your color preference. A few examples are ruby (red), emerald (green), and sapphire (blue).
- Carat: The carat value of your jewelry item is the most important. As mentioned, one carat equals 200 milligrams. Be sure to weigh in your article to know how much it will cost you.
What Jewelry Items to Get
If you’re looking to invest in jewelry items made of either gold or diamond, consider the following:
- Chains: Gold chains are the most common and popular ones. They can be worn on your neck, ankles, or wrists.
- Rings: If you’re for your future spouse, consider a jewelry piece made of gold and one with a diamond on top of the band.
- Earrings: You may want to get a pair of earrings made of gold or a couple with tiny gemstones attached to them.
- Bracelets: They are fashionable ornaments around your wrist. Be sure to opt for gold or one with diamonds for class and elegance.
- Necklaces: They are perfect accessories displayed around the necks. Some of the best materials include gemstones, gold, silver, garnets, and more. Invest in one best suited for a special occasion.
At this point, you now know what the significant difference is between karat and carat. Be sure to invest in jewelry pieces made of gold, diamond, and gemstones, and consider the critical attributes discussed above. Whether it’s a ring, a pair of earrings, or a necklace, you’ll make the proper jewelry selection and best purchase decision.